Monday 26 December 2011

Buying our first chicken


After being in the house for about a week we decided to buy a chicken as we hadn't ate much meat since being in India . Despite my abhorance to the chicken farm I assured Colin that I could eat the chicken as long as he prepared it for cooking. So off Colin went to the guy's house to get the chicken. As I said before this is where the chickens are killed. When Colin came back with a plastic bag dripping with blood I did not want (but had to know) the gory details.
When he arrived at the guy's house all the chickens were running around in a pen.  He was asked 'what chicken do you want'? He selected a chicken and the next thing it was placed in a box and the head lobbed off. The chicken continued to run around headless for a few seconds until it collapsed. He re-assured the guy that we really didn't want the neck so he put this aside as Indians do eat this part of the chicken.
He then just ripped the skin off and cut the chicken into 4 pieces. When we opened the bag that Colin brought home there was indeed 4 pieces, but also all the inards. The mixture of the smell in the kitchen of fresh blood and slimey chicken inards was overpowering and I couldn't go near it. Even Colin, who can stomach anything, wasn't feeling too great about the whole thing. Anyway the chicken got prepared and cooked thanks to Colin. The sauce he cooked it in was great but the chicken was as tough as it gets. I think it is because the poor wee things are so stressed about their living conditions. So that was the end of chicken dinners.
This was before I had Lucy the cat to give the leftover inards to. I stupidly took these over to Pamela my neighbour as I had seen a wee cat in her garden one day. When I offered her these for her cat she looked at me like I was absolutely bonkers. She couldn't understand why I thought someone would have a cat as a pet and wanted to know why I was giving ;good parts of a chicken away and not cooking them'. Chastised I went back to our house and threw them out in the back garden for whatever creatures live there -they were gone in the morning.
We found out thet there was a good butchers in Chaudi (Sopiea's Butchers), which is our nearest town, it also has a 'supermarket'. The butchers sells beef, Goan sausages, bacon, pork, and ready prepared chicken breasts among other things so we decided that next time we needed a meat feast we would go there. Oh dear, that was an experience for another day, for me it was worse than just hearing about Colin's chicken experience. I found myself in the thick of it.
Will sign off now as it it time for dinner. Colin is watching the Liverpool v Blackburn game on TV. Nothing Like English Premier League football on Boxing Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment