Monday 5 March 2012

Leaving Cochin, and India, after 6 wonderful months

We finally left Cochin on 24th Feb after having spent 6 wonderful months in India. We had enjoyed our short stay in Cochin as it really was a chilled out wee place, especially for India. As we were leaving Heavenly Homestay in the taxi to go to the airport to catch our flight to Malaysia,  Patrick ran into the house and returned with bottles of water so we would not be thirsty on our journey - hospitality right to the end! (we have also since, received an e-mail from him, thanking us for staying in his home).
Because of the problem I had been having with my knee, I had it strapped up. Sounding like an old git, a friend from Agonda had given me a walking stick. Sounds a bit over the top but it helped me to get upstairs, without having to go up one by one,  with a rucksack on my back. When we got into the airport the ground crew immediately approached me and asked me if I needed  a wheelchair. I obviously said no, but Colin was a bit miffed as he thought it would be fun to have him whizzing me around the airport in a wheelchair. It would have been like a comedy sketch from Little Britain with Andy and Lou - me getting out of the wheelchair to get a drink at the airport bar while Colin was in the toilet!
More embarrassment was to come. When we were in the departure lounge I was called to board the plane before the other passengers. Not to be out-done Colin grabbed my hand luggage so that he could board with me. So there we were sitting on the plane. Coiln, myself and two wheelchair-bound passengers and then the other passengers were allowed to board. Just before landing the stewardess approached me and asked if I would like to be carried off the plane by porters, where a wheelchair would be waiting for me to take me through customs. I obviously politely declined. Colin was in stitches.
It was the early hours of the morning when we arrived in Kuala Lumpar (70kms from the centre) so we had pre-booked a cheap, budget airport hotel as, at that time, no buses operated and taxis tend to rip you off because it's late. We got to the hotel and the room was a box, no bigger than the size of our bed! The next morning we got a taxi into the centre. Although we have both travelled throughout Asia, none of us have ever been to Malaysia. We had tried to book a budget hotel in Kuala Lumpur via the internet but none of them had got back to us. So we chose an area on the map and asked the driver to drop us off at a large shopping mall in the centre so that we could find a place to stay. On foot, we managed to find a place which turned out to be really good and central for most things.

No comments:

Post a Comment