Sunday 29 January 2012

A trip to the butchers


Not long after moving into the house we decided to take a trip into Choudi, the nearest town, and go to the butcher. This seemed more civilised than picking a live chicken and watching its head being lobbed off. Well, that was a mistake.
We arrived at the butchers and lo and behold there was cages full of chickens. They were really stressed and their breathing rate was so rapid. They weren't making any noise as they didn't have the energy. I was thinking OMG, but we are just in here to buy beef and let's get it over with.
Unfortunately the woman in front of us asked for a chicken. Before I could blink, a live chicken was grabbed. I turned away but I couldn't turn my ears off to the knife cutting off the head and to the headless chicken running around frantically for a few seconds before it keeled over. All the other live chickens in the cages could see this happening. I could smell the fresh blood and felt really nauseated. I got myself outside whilst hearing Coiln shout 'do you want bacon etc'. He suddenly realised what I had seen to didn't expect any answers.
When he came out he found me nearly in tears so now when we go to Choudi, he goes to the butchers and I don't go anywhere near. This isn't any different from what happens in the UK, it's just that you are not exposed to the whole process.

Oh, while I remember, our wee cat lucy should have been called Luke. It looks like she is a boy, either that or she has some seriously hairy haemorrhoids at her back end. I think that we are so chilled out here and my nursing skills have definately gone.I'm sure I used to know the difference between a male and a femele. 

No comments:

Post a Comment